Thursday, June 12, 2008

Staight talk from a Livonia parent.

Steve,

As a concerned parent of two boys ages 2 and 4, I have recently been watching the School Board meetings to familiarize myself with the financial situations of the school district. As any parent of a 4-year old I am pleased to be living in Livonia believing that my son will be attending an excellent school in 1-more year.

As with any business there are tough financial issues to work through in this economy. You seem to be one of the few on the school board who actually is looking at the big picture. I do see many excellent concerns raised by you in the meetings. I think the rest of the school board should take a step back and listen to some of your ideas.

I do not understand how Livonia can sign a 2-year contract with the SEALS,while teachers are cut. Shouldn't the students education be the 1st priority? Couldn't all janitorial and maintenance positions be outsourced. This could also eliminate some support administrative positions. As a parent I do want the classrooms cleaned, but I am more concerned that my son will be in a class of more than 30 students. It doesn't matter to me who cleans the room, a LPS employee or an outsourced employee.

I will be basing my children's enrollment in public vs. private schools on how the budget cuts are handled. There are many other parents that support my beliefs.

Keep raising the good ideas. Glad to see you question the "Consultant Fees".

____________
Please click on "comments" to leave a comment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Livonia Parent:

Outsourcing is one way of attempting to save money, however, with outsourcing, you lose control over who is in the building with your children.

As a parent with four children in/graduated LPS, I feel very comfortable knowing the custodian and my children feel comfortable knowing who he is. Our custodians know many of the children.

My eldest son, had some issues with bullying in 5th grade. It predominantly occurred during indoor recess in the winter months. He was given permission to "help" the custodian during indoor recess. Of course the custodian had to agree to this and I'm sure the amount of help a 10 year old could give him was more of a hindrance. the experience gave him some confidence and my son still stops by for a visit when he can.
My point is, the custodians we have take pride in the buildings they maintain, they care for the staff and the children who work and learn there.

Having experienced outsourced janitorial services in my workplace, I can tell you that I rarely see the same employee twice and they have no vested interest in what the individual needs of our building are. "Early meeting? Want to set up the conference room now? Sorry conference room doesn't get cleaned until 9:00pm." "No, I can't help you with that, not in the contract..."

Since we are dealing with small children, I think that having employees who take pride in their jobs and respect our children should take precedence over saving a buck.

Cut elsewhere or outsource something where the employees have no direct contact with the children.