Monday, September 22, 2008

A parent on Transportation

This is one of the emails I have received about the transportation department. Customer service doesn't seem to be a priority.


Subject: Bus Stop Safety Concern

To whom it may concern,

I am the mother of two children enrolled full time in the Livonia Public School district. On September 5, 2008, I emailed the Transportation District about an unsafe bus stop that was assigned to my son, a 7th grader at Holmes Middle School. The discounting response that I received from them via voice message and then over the phone when I finally got someone on to pick up, has appalled me. For reference, I have enclosed my original email to the Department of Transportation.

The response I received from the Transportation Department was that due to cost cuts, bus stops had to be consolidated. I was also told that event though the children have to wait for their bus in the street, based on the existing policy middle school and high school students are intelligent enough to stay out of traffic. I was also told that the bus stop is in a Livonia subdivision and that means that it is not dangerous because there is not a lot of traffic.

I completely disagree. The fact that the bus stop at Broadmoor & Alexanderis in a Livonia subdivision does not make it safer at 7:25 a.m. when most of the residents in that subdivision, including myself, leave for work. The street is not a safe place to wait for the bus for anybody regardless of age, intelligence or maturity. This set-up is a disaster waiting to happen especially with the winter months approaching. The three students that are picked up at the Broadmoor & Alexander live in closer proximity to the Alexander & Sunnydale intersection. This will be a safer and more logical choice for these students. This intersection is well lit, has sidewalks and it is on the existing bus route.

I am aware of the limited budget that the district is working with, but at the same time I do not believe that assigning bus stops without considering the safety of our children is what Dr. Liepa the superintendent of Livonia Public School had in mind when he stated that "We're looking at being as efficient as we can..." I am also appalled about the level of unprofessionalism displayed by the woman who answered when I called the Department of Transportation. Unfortunately, I do not have her name because she hung up on me before I could get it, but not before she told me that she did not even have to answer the phone.

Finally, I may be just one parent of two children enrolled in the Livonia Public School District, but this district is funded by taxes from people like me and from funds (even if limited) received from the State of Michigan on behalf of my children attending the Livonia Public School District. I believe that this entitles me to a reasonable (not condescending) response to my request. I can promise the Livonia Public School District that if anything happens to my child while waiting for the bus I will personally hold the district responsible.

2 comments:

AJG said...

Good luck getting anyplace with transportation. They rarely answer the phone, and forget a call back if you leave a message.

Anonymous said...

To the woman who wrote the letter -- I had a very similar experience with the Transportation department and was so upset by the treatment I received from them (on two separate occasions) that I left work and immedicately drove to the administration building. Long story short, I was finally heard and my issue resolved, but there is a huge problem in that department. They do not operate as if they are serving the community and the taxpayers.