Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Note I received on Dell quality (or lack thereof)

Subject: new computers for students

Hello,
I have heard that the Board is looking into getting new computers for student use, and that you are looking at the Dell computers. I have a Dell Dimension 2350 that is a few years old. Just after the one year warranty expired the computer started freezing up on me. I called Dell for help, and paid $99.00 to be told by the service rep that every six to twelve months the computer needs to be reformatted and have everything reloaded (programs, service packs, updates, files from back up - EVERYTHING). Unfortunately, he was correct. Given my experience with this Dell computer when I replace it I most likely will not be purchasing another Dell computer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I purchase Dell computers for my employer. We have bought approximately 50 desktops and 10 notebooks.

I've had 2 optical drives fail and no other problems with the desktops. Of the notebooks, I've had 2 displays replaced and one motherboard.

I'm very satisfied.

I'd love to buy Apples, but I can't justify the additional expense. And, most of my staff have Windows machines at home, so they're more familiar with them. Granted, they are not as stable as Macs and they're not as cool, but Windows xp is pretty darn stable.