Monday, October 22, 2007

Audit Haze

Tonights meeting with the Plante Moran auditors was long on show and short on detail. Hey wasn't that Fred at the table? I thought Lisa told us he retired last year. Reading documents aloud that I can read myself is not my idea of an audit review. Seeing these documents for the first time tonight, at the table, does not allow for informed questions. I would like to go through the chart of accounts in detail, especially the things that are not booked properly. This document is what the audit is based on. I asked for the chart of accounts for six weeks before I finally received it just last week allowing me very little time to prepare for the annual audit dog and pony show. The same firm has been looking at the books for many years and has built a very cordial relationship with the district and the director of finance. I wonder if they are auditing or helping Lisa to pass the audit? I know I can meet with Lisa behind closed doors and have her explain to me any concerns I may have with the ledger but I think it is imperative that we discuss all finances in public. There are so many large dollar amounts for services in the chart that it would make your head spin. These things need to be discussed in public and I will put some of them on my blog.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for trying to do a good and responsible job as a board of education trustee. It looks like you are up against not only an administration that looks negatively on anyone questioning them, but also you are in the company of board members intent on the approval of the administration rather than executing their fiscal responsiblities.

Anonymous said...

Lisa has Fred in her pocket. That is no secret. How convenient he came out of retirement to dig her out of the hole she has buried herself in. And hey, didn't PM make a feeble attempt to fix the books they also audited? Conflict of interest? I should think so. Thank you, Mr. King, for keeping an on top of this. Why is it you are the only board member able to see this and so many other inequities?

Anonymous said...

Lisa has always had Fred in her pocket. That is no secret. How convenient that he should come out of retirement to save her yet again this year. And hasn't PM actually worked on fixing the books they then audited? Conflict of interest for sure. How can it be that you are the only board member who can see the inequities going on and on and on? Come one BOE members. Stop following blindly and use your brains and speak out and make NECESSARY changes.

Anonymous said...

isn't that the whole point-they- the administration-do not want you to have the materials in a timely fashion because they do not want to encourage you to actually study the material- they would prefer that you didn't understand where the money is going in order to maintain control without the board controling them