Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Loyalty Oath

Once again at Mondays meeting we looked at board policy BHA(3) also known as the loyalty oath. Once again I honored my campaign pledge and did not sign it. It is not necessary for me to sign a document to be a fully committed board member. When I took office I swore an oath to the constitution and I was very clear during my campaign exactly what my concerns were and what I was going to try to accomplish. I feel I have been diligent in my duties, especially when it comes to asking question, and trying too enact some fiscal accountability. The first line of the pledge states "Student learning and the success of all of our students will drive my decisions." How do those that signed this document square that with the implementation of the legacy debacle. During that contentious time the entire school community was thoroughly disrupted. Millions of dollars squandered on poorly planned additional transportation, coupled with the millions lost from families leaving LPS that continues into this year. The loss of revenue and trust will harm the district for many years. How did any of this chaos enhance student learning?

No comments: