Monday, October 1, 2007

High School Musical Hype

We were told there was two purposes for the Laurel Park Place mall event featuring Drew Seely from HS2. One to celebrate the start of school and two, our ramped up marketing effort. I attended this event and thought the only redeeming feature was the jumprope station. Any time you can get kids moving and having fun it is a good thing. Those in attendance came to see Drew and stood in a very long line to get an autograph and really were there for just that reason. This had nothing to do with the start of school and I do not share the administrations enthusiasm for this event. As educators we compete with a vapid culture on a daily basis. High School Musical 2 is not the kind of thing I want to promote. The female star of this movie recently showed up on the internet nude. Lets not forget Disney is the company that brought us Britney, Lindsay and many other tabloid creatures. If we want to promote the start of school lets have an event at our schools not the mall. Kids should be excited to come back to school because it is such a rewarding experience not because of the pop star frenzy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As much as I would like to think that children would be excited to start school because they are excited about learning, it was never my experience as a child, nor has it been my experience as a parent. I was excited to see my friends, get new clothes... It seems to be the same scenario for my own children and their friends.

I attended the HSM event at Laurel Park. It was very crowded, yet we had a wonderful time and I spent a terrific day with my kids. I appreciate that you interpreted the only thing of value as being the jump rope, but I suppose that is where your interest lies. I had a hard time prying my future musician away from the karaoke area. I also disagree that this event had nothing to do with LPS. What a wonderful example the talented students from CAPA were to the younger students in our district. Not to mention visitors from other cities. It really showcased what a gem in our district CAPA is.

Anonymous said...

What a COMPLETE waste of LPS money. It could have been better spent elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

The great thing is, the tab was picked up by Radio Disney and Laurel Park Place. LPS didn't pay for this event.