Monday, October 1, 2007

More Open House

During the Buchanan OH I was taken to task by some of the teachers bacause of something they were told I was responsible for. They were told that they could not use screens on windows and doors because Mr. King said it was a fire hazard. Not true! Individual Board members have no authority to implement such an edict and I personally have suggested the use of screens and ceiling fans to alleviate the extreme temperatures in the classrooms. This is an ongoing problem in the district and teachers need to come forward with parents to insist on a viable solution.

When I left the school that evening it was pitch black in the parking lot because none of the new parking lot lights were working. I observed people faliing off of the curb because it was so dark. This is a safety issue. Not one summer construction project was finished on time. Many teachers treked through mud and dirt loaded with supplies when they reported to school preparing their rooms for the start of the new school year. Workers had all summer to complete these pojects and some were not even started until the end of August. This is poor planning and we can do better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The playscape at Roosevelt has been roped off since last April or May. There is one thing that needs to be fixed on it, again, they had all summer to fix it.

Anonymous said...

Much like the BOE promising new play equipment of a proper size at Riley, then doing nothing. Basically, promise, keep people quiet, then do nothing. Way to go BOE.

Anonymous said...

My 4th grader brought home EM math homework yesterday. He had to write down all the different numbers he found in our house such as a SS number, how many ounces on a box of cereal, the date on a magazine, the time. This is ridiculous. My child could have done this in kindergarten. The point they were trying to get across is that numbers are everywhere. I think my son already knew that. I thought they were supposed to start simple division at this point. I am deeply concerned.